Who doesn’t LOVE a round table? I know I do! We’ve had this old thrift store table for a few years now. I have loved gathering my family & friends around it for games and late night snacks. Unfortunately, we just outgrew it.
We (by we I mean me) decided it would be a great idea to give this table a new top and create more space for our growing family and the crazy game nights we host here. Ignore the spray paint…Ralphie our elf on the shelf spray painted it with some friends one rowdy night. It’s “our song”…cute, right?!
First we (the hubs & I) came up with how we wanted the top to look. I started by researching patterns of tables I liked. (pinterest is great for this)
We decided on a chevron pattern.
We made jigs (scrap pieces of wood that are identical in size and shape) to determine what angle we wanted the chevron pattern to take. We chose a 32.5 degree angle and then cut all the pieces. Half of them were cut with two right angles (one on each end) and the other half with two left angles.
Once the pieces were all cut we could lay them on the table to get a visual of how the knots would look together since the wood we chose was a Knotty Alder.
We started by laying down the middle row making sure we had the same reveal on the top, bottom and sides. We then worked our way to the top of the table marking the edges of each row as we went. Next we worked our way down, once again marking the edges of each row as we went. The reason we marked each row was so we could know where to pre-drill for our screws since we chose that option for securing the individual pieces.
It was then time to stain the wood. We used two colors, Natural and Jacobean, both from Minwax. The Natural we allowed to be absorbed by the w but wiped the Jacobean with a dry clean cloth so as to not get too dark of a finish. I left the ends of the wood unstained so that if any of my joints didn’t meet properly or needed a little sanding to be flush I could. Once all pieces were stained we layed them all on the table again and began by lining our center pieces up with our previous markings. They were each secured with at least two screws going by piece by piece and row by row. We used a high-end wood filler to fill any minor gaps at the joints. Once all pieces were secured to the table we sanded any wood fill and stained the ends.
Next we took another scrap piece of wood and made another jig approximately 3″ by 3″ with a hole drilled in the middle for a pencil. We then marked the underneath of the outer pieces where we would cut to give us our rounded shape of the table. We cut to the pencil mark in order to leave room for sanding the edges. Some of the outer pieces ended up being either very thin and or small. For those that were we used a high quality wood glue to attach them to the other pieces.
The table top was now complete minus the Polycrylic we used for the top coat and the skirt around the outer edge to finish out the ends.
We took a full length piece of the alder and ripped it into 3/16″ strips and then soaked them in hot water to make them more malleable. (We used our tub to soak them in) We attached the thin strips of the skirt to the top by using a pneumatic staple gun. After it fully dried we filled the holes with the same wood filler, sanded and stained using the Jacobean stain to match.
Now with the table fully built, we could apply the finish to beautify and protect the wood. We applied eight top coats with a light sanding in between each coat. I used the feather duster to clean all the fine dust before lightly wiping it off.
After the last coat was fully cured, we used Resin from a local hobby store to fill any of the knots so that nothing would get stuck in them.